THE ABILITY TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN HEALTHY BOUNDARIES IS A KEY
IN ANY RELATIONSHIP
What is a boundary and why are they so important?
Learned in the early years of life, the most effective way to teach children a boundary is through modeling. Parents wo create a non judgemental, accepting, warm and understanding environment for their child are providing a breeding ground for the child to feel safe exploring themselves, their feelings, their own wants and desires, their fars and struggles.
A child with strong, healthy boundaries can
negotiate life more simply because:
- They now have the tools to control their own behavior
- They will not be motivated by guilt or anger
- They are not as vulnerable to peer pressure
- They trust their self to do what’s right and wrong
- They have the ability to define their own abilities and strengths (not letting others tell them who and what they are, very important for self-esteem)
When parents set healthy boundaries with their children it teaches them, through modeling, how to establish and maintain their own boundaries. Boundaries set by a parent are much more than discipline... they are what gives the child a sense of self, they are about loving and respecting self and others. An adult OR child with strong boundaries will value, trust, and listen to self and others.
Boundaries are an essential key in every area of life. They allow us to trust and respect ourselves and others. Creating boundaries is an important part of creative parenting. Children can develop an internal authority that they can trust throughout life to keep them physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually safe. A self-assured, self-confident child with healthy self-esteem, is a natural result of boundaries